Types of automation framework
In this tutorial, I am going to explain the basics of automation framework and most popular types of automation framework? I am also going to tell about the pros and cons of these types of automation framework. Automation framework actually refers to testing automation framework used as an execution environment for automation testing.
What is automation Framework?
Automation Framework is not a single tool or process but it’s collection of tools and processes working together to support automated testing of an application.
It integrates function libraries, test data, object details and various reusable modules.
It is an integrated environment that sets the rules, assumptions, standards, concepts, guidelines and tools to aid automated testing
Why do we need an automation framework?
Consider a simple scenario. You are working in a team comprising of 5 members. If each one of you usage own method/technique to write the automation script, it will lead to divergent style of coding. Moreover, the team may not even be able to leverage common pieces of code and scripts.
These are couple of issues, which can be taken care of by using automation framework. Of course there are many other pros of using an automation framework.
So, why should we use an automation framework?
- To maintain the defined approach across the test suites
- To fasten the work progress
- To easy maintain the test code
- To eliminate the human error
- To test the application effectively
- To achieve Continuous testing and delivery
Use of an automation framework in any project leads to the following advantages:
- Defined approach to be followed by everyone across the test suite
- Understandable code
- Low cost maintenance
- Re-usability of code
Automation framework for every project?
Do we develop automation framework for every project? Not really, automation framework development is complex and requires a lot of effort.
So, justification of framework hold good for large projects where use of automation testing is substantial. A large and complex project under testing can reap the benefits of spending in the development of automation framework.
Automation framework is a customized framework for every project. It can not be standardized across all the projects.
Components of an automation framework
Automation framework comprises of multiple components. Some of the most important components of a framework are as follows:
- Application under test (AUT) – the application which is going to be tested
- Test Management Tool – For managing test cases and scenarios
- Test Environment – The environment for testing
- Test Library – Set of scripts, components etc
- Testing Practices – Set of practices to be used for the project
- Testing Tool(s) – Tools to be used like automation testing tool like selenium etc
- Framework Administrator – The administrator who will manage the framework
Teams may choose to implement all or a subset of these components. It’s dependent on the specific needs of a project.
Popular test automation framework
There are many automation frameworks, some of the most popular ones are as follows:
- Linear Scripting
- The Test Library Architecture Framework
- The Data-Driven Testing Framework.
- The keyword driven Testing Framework
- The Hybrid Test Automation Framework
- The module driven framework
We will discussing these frameworks in our next posts. In the meanwhile, you can get more information about these frameworks on this presentation uploaded on Slideshare:
Techcanvass is an IT training academy for professionals offering courses in Business Analysis, automation testing and analytics. Techcanvass is an IIBA authorized training centre and offers business analysis certification courses along with selenium certification courses. Being an authorized Endorsed education provider, we offer IIBA certification preparation courses.